Monday, June 14, 2010

Canadian, Drunk, Lost in Jo'burg.....and Cough syrup.......and German Metal bands

A quick blog before I go to bed. Need to get some things written down before I forget.

1. Best shirt ever, "You can't Dutch this!"

2. Iron Brew, South Africa's favorite. I thought it was root beer. It definitely tastes like carbonated cherry cough syrup. It sounds gross, but it's pretty awesome. Need to get it in the States somehow.

3. VH1 doesn't play its normal tunes in SA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq0xsJWAfg8
Pink Cream 69. Learn it, Live it, Love it.......download it. I'm partial to btjunkie.

4. This B&B has polished marble floors. The only activity that rivals watching soccer games is running and sliding in my socked feet on these floors. You can definitely hit the 20 ft mark. One word. Exhilirating.

5. Found a "mall". It's all open air and has a HUGE tv screen to watch games. We caught the Italy vs Paraguay game there. So close to a Paraguay victory which would have been amazing. Screw Italy. I hope they don't even advance out of the group. Keep diving and crying you gigantic babies.

6. Adam (one of the Danish Canadians we're staying with) just came downstairs and asked me if I'd seen his brother Mark. Definitely haven't seen him. His wallet and phone are here. It's 1:16 am. He's not here. Hopefully he didn't get drunk and wander off. We'll see in the morning I guess. Oh Canada, please come home. I don't need tragedy less than a week into my trip.

7. Speaking of the Danes, tough loss today. They played pretty well and deserved better than a 2-0 result. I don't know why they took Bendtner out so early. Clearly the best player on the field.

8. Sometime this week, we'll do a big photo dump so everyone can see what we're seeing.

Alright, off to bed. Apartheid museum tomorrow. Maybe I can bring home a lifesize wax statue of Nelson Mandela?

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Constitution Hill is quite interesting, and can be a rather intense experience. You'll be walking through cells that Mandela was in, as well as Gandhi. There is also a cell that housed South Africa's most notorious female serial killer.

    I told Emily, you all should go out to Greenside. If I remember correctly, Thursday is the big night. I recommend a spot called Gin, but there are several bars, clubs, and eateries on that stretch. There is a really good indian restaurant in that area called Karma, quite good. Also a really good vegetarian restaurant. A really cool shop in Greenside is called Deer Hunter. I recommend checking that out, as well.

    The African market that occurs on the weekends isn't bad either. It's within proximity to the mall. It is kind of touristy in certain sections, but in other areas you can find some really amazing hand crafted things. As well as a lot of unique food.

    ReplyDelete